What is it?
Geriatrics is the branch of medicine that deals not only with the prevention and care of diseases presented by the elderly, but also of their functional recovery and reintegration into the community, according to the British Geriatric Society.
Geriatrics covers all health care needs of the elderly.
The main objective of our work is to prevent or recover the loss of autonomy and integrate the largest number of eldery into the community with the highest quality of life possible. The goal is to give quality to the amount of years achieved, in line with the WHO definition: a state in which there is an optimum situation of physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease.
The basic tools that we follow when working in the Mallorca Health Care are four:
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment.
- Comprehensive and integrated care. Scheduled, gradual and continuing care.
- Interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Existence of care levels: Outpatient care (home or hotel), specialist consultations, day hospital, inpatient units: intensive care patients, mid stay (convalescent or functional recovery), long stay, specialised units
- Intensive care patients geriatric unit, with 20 beds, treating patients with acute pathologies or chronic diseases exacerbation processes.
- Mid stay unit, with 40 beds for patients requiring functional improvement or recovery in order to enhance the autonomy or for convalescence of medically complex patients.Orthogeriatric unit, with 8 beds for patients recovering from surgery.
- Long stay unit, with 40 beds, for patients with advanced disease or chronic process with average degree of clinical complexity and different levels of dependence that can not be treated at home
- Palliative care unit.
- Geriatric day hospital, with 25 seats, and outpatient geriatric services.
Specialist geriatricians, nurses, occupational therapists, speech therapists, physiotherapists, social workers, psychologists (psycho-oncologist and neuro-psychologist), assistants, ancilliaries and volunteers.
Click this link to see medical and professional team of geriatrics and healthy aging
Mallorca Health Care facilities
- Architectural barrier-free rooms
- Two large gyms; one for patients with thraumatologic pathology and another one for neurological pathology
- Spacious and modern multidisciplinary rooms